Retirement on medical grounds shall be when an employee disengages from active service
- Based on the advice of a suitably qualified physician or Medical Board certifying that the employee is no longer mentally or physically capable of carrying out the functions of his/her office.
- Due to total or permanent disability either of mind or body.
An employee retiring on medical grounds or his/her representative or the employer shall be requested to provide the original copies of following documents:
- A medical certificate issued by a properly constituted Medical Board or a suitably qualified physician; (The Commission shall advise operators in this regard after due consultation with the Medical Association of Nigeria).
- The letter of notification of retirement issued by the employer also authenticating the medical certificate;
- Pay slip or evidence of total annual remuneration.
- Evidence of any accrued pension rights/acknowledgment of indebtedness (if an employee in the private sector).
In line with the Pension Regulation, the retiree may re-enter the Scheme if he/she obtains a medical certification of fitness from a properly constituted Medical Board or a suitably qualified physician and upon securing an employment. Such re-entry automatically ends the withdrawal option and empowers the employee to resume contributions into the RSA.